Welcome to Colorado Springs Daily Photo!


Hi, I'm Tamera, a professional wedding, portrait and boudoir photographer in Colorado Springs. But this blog isn't about my professional work; no, it's a daily love note to my beautiful city, where I've lived for most of my life. I love it here and I hope you enjoy seeing Colorado Springs through my eyes and lens!

*ALL CONTENT ON THIS SITE IS COPYRIGHT COLORADO SPRINGS DAILY PHOTO. This is not a stock photography site. Please do not copy, save, "screen grab" or otherwise appropriate or steal any images or text. Reproduction without my written permission is prohibited. Please contact me if you are interested in buying a print.*

23 June 2017

Skywatch Friday


Last week I went to Lakewood, part of the Denver metro area, to do some engagement portraits at Belmar Park and the Lakewood Heritage Center. I remember having done engagement portraits there before, some time ago, but it had been so long that I'd forgotten what a cool place it is! The Lakewood Heritage Center (right next to the park) is a museum dedicated to 20th century, historically Lakewood-specific artifacts. Part of their permanent collection includes several lovingly restored old buildings from the early to mid-twentieth century. I loooooove Mid-Century Modern, and if you're a regular reader of this blog, you know how I feel about Art Déco -- I can't get enough! So it was a real treat to rediscover Belmar Park and do some portraits there. Between shots of my clients Melanie and Ben (which you can see HERE, if you're curious), I was able to get a few snaps of the buildings for you. One of these days I'll have to go back there when I'm not on a photography job and just enjoy all this great stuff.

For more Skywatch Friday pictures from bloggers everywhere, click HERE. Have a great weekend!
The white building in the background is a tiny old hotel. You can peer through the windows to see the rooms decorated in 1950s décor, including a cool old TV. In the foreground is an Art Déco era beauty shop with gorgeous, wrap-around glass brick. It's outstanding!
The small building on the right is a diner. Looking in the plate glass window, you can see the typical diner counter, complete with ketchup and mustard bottles, chrome stools, the whole nine yards. It's perfectly staged and looks exactly how you'd imagine an old diner would have looked in the 1940s. The Heritage Center has acquired another old diner, which has been placed across the street from these buildings (just outside the frame of this photo). It has yet to be restored but I can tell it's going to be the coolest thing ever once it's been spiffed up.
Another view of the hotel. There is apparently also an old barn and maybe even a farmhouse in the collection, but I wasn't able to photograph them. Next time!
The hotel sign does light up at night.
And last but not least, this silly goose, who fearlessly approached us at the lake and was clearly miffed when we didn't have snacks to offer him! If looks could kill! 😉

3 comments:

William Kendall said...

Architecture that is quite pleasing to the eye.

Yes, the goose looks thoroughly displeased!

Spare Parts and Pics said...

I love those old art deco buildings with the clocks on top. Great sign, too!

colleen said...

There's so much vacancy in a big sky!